Stonebridge logo
0121 392 8288
Our Blog
July 6, 2017

Study now and pay later with a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan

Written by
Looking for over 19 college funding?

Do you want to train for a new career, but worry about the cost of taking a qualification? We understand that our students want to get started on a course, without affecting family finances, and that’s where the 19+ Advanced Learner Loan can help.

The 19+ Advanced Learner Loan is now available again to students enrolling on relevant courses via the Stonebridge website.

Why should I choose a 19+ Advanced Learner loan?

Benefits include:

  • No credit checks or minimum income requirement.
  • No upper age limit.
  • You don’t need to start repayments until you’ve finished the course and are earning £21,000 p.a.  

Am I eligible?

To take out a 19+ Advanced Learner Loan, you must be 19 or older on the day that you start your course. Applicants need to be living in the UK and to have been living in the UK, Isle of Man, or Channel Islands for at least three years. To successfully apply you also should be a UK national, without any limits on your stay.


Find out where a 19+ learner loan could take you.

How do I apply?

Getting started is simple with Stonebridge’s initial application form. Select your course, submit your details and you’ll receive an email with your Qualification Learning and Funding letter.

A link will direct you to the Student Finance England website, where you’ll complete your loan application.

Next, you’ll print off and sign this application form and put it in the post to Student Finance England. After up to two weeks, a letter will arrive confirming your loan.

What do I need to hand when applying?

When you fill out your application you’ll need:

  • National Insurance number.
  • Passport/birth certificate details.
  • Any evidence to support your application.

How do loan repayments work?

You’ll begin paying back your loan the April that follows the end of your course. The loan will come with a small amount of interest, but repayments will only start once you’re earning at least £21,000 a year.

If your financial situation changes and your salary falls below this amount, your repayments will stop. If you’re self-employed, then you must make repayments through a Self-Assessment tax return.

What happens if I need another loan for university?

If you decide to go to university to work towards a degree course, then you can apply for another 19+ Advanced Learner Loan to do this. If you finish your degree, then your initial loan, or any amount left to pay, will be wiped out by Student Finance England. The degree course must be eligible for student finance and you need to successfully complete it.

 A-Z book of courses

Related Post
If you missed out on university, but have always wanted to go back to education,
Why should I go to university? At Stonebridge, we train thousands of learners in the UK and internationally,
The new way to go to university Not everyone finds school easy. Many people don't
Everyone should have the opportunity to go to university Have you always wanted to go to university,

More from 19+ Learner Loans


7 Responses

  1. Pilar Garcia Vicente says:

    Good evening,
    I am Spanish an I have been living in Uk two years. Can I to apply for a loan as European person?
    I don’t know if the loan is only for Uk people or as european resisent I could.
    Thanks in advance

  2. Chantal says:

    I am already working as a nursery nurse in a reception class with a total of more than 10 years in childminding and nursery settings do I need to take early years practitioner course or an Early Years Foundation degree?
    I am a U.K. Citizen with an NVQ level3 in Children Care Learning and Development.

  3. Renata Barabas says:

    Hi, I have been on the CACHE level 3 course with student loan for 2 years that imcludes a longer study break and now I cannot finish the course, what will happen to my student loan and how will I need to pay it back?

  4. Keisha wells says:

    I already took out a student loan for my postgraduate degree in early childhood from 2008-2012 would I still be eligible for the advanced learner loan? has I now what to go on and do my Healthcare Play Specialism : Foundation Degree

    • Kate Byrne says:

      Hello Keisha,
      If you could provide us with a telephone number and an appropriate time, we can give you a call to discuss your options.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *