The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Access 2013 Course is an ideal course for beginners to Access. It will guide you to an advanced level of proficiency and help you become an expert in the Microsoft Access 2013 software.
This certification is part of a series of Microsoft Office Specialist certifications covering all of the Microsoft Office software applications, and aimed at those who use MS Office programs in their jobs. Earning a MOS certification demonstrates proficiency in the latest, most relevant standard of the world’s most widely used desktop computing applications.
The MOS certification will help to expand your job opportunities, help you to stand out from your competitors in the job market, and may increase your earnings potential. The Microsoft Office Specialist certification could also lead to higher job satisfaction, as research indicates that certified individuals have increased competence, productivity and credibility with their employers, co-workers and clients.
This MOS Access 2013 course is designated as Approved Courseware for the Microsoft Office Specialist program. It will help prepare you for the MOS Access 2013 exam (77-424). The course has been designed as a self-study course and you can take as long as you need to complete it. Tutor support is available via email should you need assistance.
APPLE MAC USERS: We recommend you complete this course on a PC with the Windows Operating System. While the course can be run on an Apple Macs using software such as Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop 7, VMware fusion or CrossOver Mac, we cannot support any issues that may occur with PC-Based software running on a Mac.
Stonebridge College offers the official Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) self study course materials supplied through DLC, an official partner of the MOS Program.
Microsoft Office Specialist Access 2013 Certificate
On successful completion of this course you will be able to apply for your Microsoft MOS Access 2013 77-424 Examination. You must pass the examination in order to gain the certification.
The Miscrosoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification is a worldwide recognised status of ability and aptitude in using the Microsoft Office suite. It is the leading IT certification in the world and a route to the most essential professional skills.
The MOS certification provides you with a professional status you can be proud of. It increases your productivity and efficiency, sets you apart from the competition and enhances your job satisfaction.
For more information visit https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-gb/mos-certification.aspx.
Unit 1 - Getting started
- Organise data efficiently by using a database management system
- Start Access, learn about it's environment, open a database file with shared access and learn about database objects
Unit 2 - Databases and tables
- Plan and create a database
- Examine a table in Datasheet view and Design view
- Create and modify tables, create a primary key and create a composite key
Unit 3 - Fields and records
- Modify a table design by changing field names, inserting and deleting fields, moving fields and using the Attachment data type
- Find and replace data in a table, and hide and freeze fields
- Sort, filter and delete records
Unit 4 - Data entry rules
- Set properties for a field
- Create input masks for fields and use the Input Mask Wizard
- Set validation rules for entering data in a field
Unit 5 - Basic queries
- Plan, create, save and run queries, and use queries to sort data and to filter query results
- Modify queries and query results by adding fields and find records with empty fields
- Perform operations in queries by using comparison operators, use AND and OR conditions in queries, and use expressions and aggregate functions
Unit 6 - Using forms
- Create forms
- Create and modify forms in Design view
- Sort and filter records by using forms
Unit 7 - Working with reports
- Create reports by using the Report button, the Report Wizard, Design view and Layout view
- Group and sort records in a report, summarise information in a report, change the report layout and style, and print a report
Unit 8 - Relational databases
- Normalise tables, use the Table Analyser and identify object dependencies
- Set relationships between tables, and print a report listing the table relationships
- Implement referential integrity between related tables
Unit 9 - Related tables
- Use the Lookup Wizard to create a lookup field and a multi-valued field
- Modify properties for a lookup field
- Use subdatasheet to add to related tables
Unit 10 - Complex queries
- Create outer join, inner join and self join queries, find non-matching records and duplicate records and delete tables from a query
- Create calculated fields in a query, and use the Expression builder
- Use queries to view summarised grouped data from tables
Unit 11 - Advanced form design
- Add unbound controls to a form, change the tab order of controls, group controls and format a form for printing
- Use controls to add graphics to a form
- Use controls to add calculated fields to a form
- Add a combo box to a form
- Create multiple-item forms, split forms, datasheet forms, subforms and navigation forms
Unit 12 - Reports and printing
- Customise report headers and footers, set properties for grouping data in the report, use conditional formatting and change a report's appearance
- Add calculated values to a report by using functions and add a subreport
- Print database objects and a report on database design
- Create and print labels
Unit 13 - Charts
- Create and modify a chart in a form
- Create and modify a chart in a report
Unit 14 - Querying with SQL
- Use SQL statements and examine them in Access
- Write SQL statements to create queries and subqueries, and assign aliases to fields
- Create a SQL-specific query and attach it to a command button
Unit 15 - Advanced queries
- Create crosstab queries to summarise grouped data
- Create parameter queries to view results based on specific criteria
- Create action queries to add, delete and modify data in tables and to make tables
Unit 16 - Macros
- Create and run macros to automate tasks
- Attach macros to events of database objects
Unit 17 - Advanced macros
- Create data validation and data entry macros
- Create macros that run parameter queries
- Create AutoKeys and AutoExec macros
- Create AutoKeys and AutoExec macros
- Create macros to import and export database objects
Unit 18 - Importing, exporting and linking objects
- Import objects from another Access database, from Excel and from CSV files
- Export objects from an active database to another Access database
- Export and import XML documents
- Link objects from one database to another and update the links
- Create and modify hyperlink fields
Unit 19 - Database management
- Work with database utilities to optimise resources
- Protect a database with a password and encryption
- Set Access options and database properties
To earn the MOS certification you must sit a separate examination (Access 2013 77-424). The exam is in a multiple choice/multiple answer format. It must be sat at a registered Certiport testing centre. You can locate testing centres and schedule exam appointments via Prodigy UK (www.prodigyuk.co.uk), where you can also buy exam vouchers for £65.00.
Please note that you may be charged by the exam centre an additional proctoring fee of approximately £20 for sitting the exam.
1) MOS Access 2013 Course Card: This gives you important information you need quickly and easily. The Course Card contains essential information for both basic and advanced skills and offers something for students of all levels.
2) MOS Access 2013 Course Book: The book covers the functions and features of Access 2013 in 19 comprehensive units.
3) Student Files: You will receive a support email giving you access to your student files and to PowerPoint presentations relevant to the content of each unit in the book. These files are also available through a student page and can be sent on disk on request.
4) Exam Preparation Software: This is cloud based exam preparation software. The format includes questions, quizzes and review answers. You can also track your history of previous attempts.